Saturday, July 5, 2008

Celebrating America's Birthday With Free Museums and a Sprinkle of Tiffany Glass

All week I was looking forward to, but also dreading this weekend. I enjoy checking out the city, but it just gets kind of lonely. At first I thought I might try to go to a beach, but the weather is just too iffy to go that far. So I decided I'd try to go to the New York Historical Society (I had read that they had a lot of Tiffany glass) and to MoMA which is free after 4 on Fridays. I called the Historical Society to make sure they would be open, and the recording said it was free if you wore red white and blue. I can do that!
At the Historical Society, they had all kinds of stuff going on, with people dressed up like Revolutionary War people and doing re-enactments. Interesting. I quickly found the Tiffany glass, which as usual, was fabulous. They had a whole big room filled with the stuff, but it was in the part of the museum where it wasn't all set up for display, it was just in glass cases (some center where you can study design?). But I could still see some of it. It was worth the trip, but I'm glad I didn't have to pay to get in because there wasn't much else there. One of the things they have at the Historical Society are all the original watercolors of Audobon's birds. But they are in a part that is only open by appointment to researchers. Oh well.
Next, I decided just to walk back to midtown instead of taking the subway. So I walked along Central Park from 77th to Columbus Circle, which I'm not sure I've ever been to. Not much exciting there, there are just lots of new buildings being built and that is where CNN's headquarters are in the Time Warner Center. Then I walked on towards MoMA on 53rd. It was only about 3, and the free tickets weren't til 4 so I figured I'd shop as I walked, but I didn't really see anything interesting. I decided to go on to MoMA and see if there was a line - its a good thing I went because by 3 the line was already pretty long. Then they let us in at about 3:45. I really liked MoMA when I went in 2001, but it is amazing now. The new building is beautiful...I just kept thinking of my sister Jenny cause I know she would have really liked it - just very simple and modern. I tried to take pictures, but they don't do it justice. Thankfully I was forewarned from the website that Starry Night is currently not on display (damn them!) so that was disappointing (but I'd seen it before). But I had read about a special exhibit they have about prefab housing design where they actually have houses built outside to walk through. Unfortunately, this doesn't open til July 20th! I will need to go back for that - I could see the houses on the lot and they looked very interesting. My favorite stuff there were all the Matisse paintings - there was one cubit Matisse, an homage to Picasso, which was really interesting.....the goldfish that he paints so often were just orange marquise shapes. I really wanted to buy a poster of my favorite Matisse, but I am out of wall space at the house - maybe someday. But I loved MoMA, and you can't beat going there for free!
I went back home, waiting for my roommate to call. She invited me along to two parties with her friends. I was so grateful! First we went to a place right by ours. Everyone at the party was an actor/actress, so they were all small beautiful people...but all very nice (lots of them even hugged me when I left!!). I got to meet this girl Autumn who is on the Legally Blond reality show on MTV, she was cute and nice (and way smaller than I could tell she was on tv). She came with another of the Legally Blond girls that I think was already kicked off the show. I also met a guy who just finished recording a pilot episode for Adult Swim....but I don't know whether it was voice over or if they do shows that aren't animated? Regardless, lots of nice people - and grilled meat! Oh, how I've missed grilled meat.
Next we walked a bit farther to another party, where the people have roof access so we could try to watch the fireworks in Manhattan. These people were all nice too, but they were mostly coworkers of my roommates from the restaurant. One girl there is leaving soon to go play Nemo in the Finding Nemo musical at Disney World, which was interesting. It was raining a bit, but we still went to the roof and we could see fireworks going off in every direction. I was just so glad to be with people watching fireworks, drinking, and eating as opposed to sitting on my couch. It was a good day.
Now I need to plan out my day today. I think I'm going to go to Brooklyn Brewery, and then who knows?



A Tiffany window at the Historical Society. This was cool because the lead that formed the magnolia branches was three dimensional and sculpted. And because I love magnolias.




Columbus Circle. I almost got ran over by a girl on a bike right after I took this picture.




Inside MoMA. The building is just so simple and perfect, I felt like I was walking through one of my sister's architectural models.




I tried to take a picture of the outside of MoMA from the sculpture garden.





My best attempt at capturing the fireworks that were going off in the East River.

No comments: