Monday, July 21, 2008

Southern Hospitality

This weekend I flew down to North Carolina to see Jenny, Charlie, and the appendages of her unborn child constantly bulging from her abdomen.
You are probably well aware of the fun I've had with flying lately. Unfortunately they were continued on Saturday. My flight from NYC left almost an hour and a half late, first because something was wrong with the brakes, then because someone needed medical attention and needed to deplane. I was connecting in Cincinnati, and arrived there at about 9:12 with my flight leaving at 9:25. I sprinted through the airport to get to the shuttle to the remote terminal for my connecting gate, but when I got there the door was closed and they said I couldn't get on even though I could see the plane. They told me they had booked me on a later flight 'quite some time ago.' Gee, thanks. I was irate (I'll write my letter to the lovely folks at Delta later tonight) but they got me on a US Airways flight that left at 12:15 getting to Charlotte around 1:30. So it could have been worse, but I still missed out on about 3 hours I should have had to spend with Jenny. To make things interesting, Kevin called me while I was at the airport waiting for my flight to let me know he needed more help to unload my new piano at our house. My family helped him load it up, but not everyone could drive to STL to unload....so I tried calling just about anyone and everyone. Thankfully, Carlos was around and willing to help out - yay, Carlos! So now there is a huge piano in my dining room. And the furniture it displaced I guess will just sit there til I get home and help to figure out where to put it....
Jenny and I went shopping that afternoon, before going back to her house where Charlie's parents were also visiting. We went to Foothills Brewery for dinner that night (yum) and wandered through downtown. Sunday, after Charlie's parents finally left (his mom is fine but I get so tired of listening to his dad...), we went to the Reynolda house for a tour and walked around the gardens as much as we could tolerate in the heat. For dinner, we grilled chicken (on the bone - apparently the first time it has ever been consumed in their house since Jenny doesn't like touching meat on bones...) and fresh-picked squash and cabbage and it was blissful. This morning, Charlie drove me to the airport and of course for once my flight was uneventful. Then I went to work to get a little bit done. Exciting, I know.
I had a great time seeing Jenny so very pregnant. It was funny how often she would make weird pained faces and push back at the baby kicking her in the ribs. I'm sure its not comfortable, but watching her reaction was very entertaining. I also got to feel what I guess was the kid's foot sticking out weird all the time. Strange. And I love their nursery, the hand-made crib is gorgeous. Now all they need is for that baby to come, and it sounds like that could happen any time.....



Jenny and I at Reynolda House.




Side view of Jenny.




Reynolda House, AKA the bungalow.




These were socks I was knitting like a fiend so I could give them to Jenny to wear at the hospital should she want to wear socks there. They are resting on the beautiful quarter-sawn oak side of the baby's crib.

No comments: