Thursday, July 10, 2008

Things Are Looking Up

This week has by far been the best week yet. In general, work is going much better and it seems like I'm more in the loop for things to do. I still don't think I'll be writing like all the other people in my program are, but at least I'm getting interesting experience. I did get my first story assignment today though. For this special issue I am working on, I will be writing something about extrasolar planets. Right now, there have been 307 planets discovered that orbit other stars, and I will be picking my 'top 10 exoplanets.' So I think I will get to do a bit of reporting and then writing about the 10 planets I pick. Sounds fun to me! I also did some fact-checking this week about a guy that is a plant scientist (Dr. Pedro Sanchez, who won the World Food Prize in 2002 for bringing sustainable agriculture practices to areas with poverty and hunger) so that was fun. I went out for drinks last night with some co-workers, so it was my first real social outing with them.....its just nice to actually know some things about the people you work with all the time. AND THE BEST PART - I get to work at a beach party tomorrow! The ad sales team at the magazine is having a party for their advertising clients on Long Beach, and they needed some extra help, so me and three other interns are going there to help. Not only do I get to hang out at the beach with free drinks and food instead of working, they are going to PAY US. Probably only like $100, but damn, I would have done it for free! And the weather is supposed to be gorgeous, so I can't wait!
This weekend I am heading to Philadelphia. I love anything that's old, so I'm sure I'll enjoy wandering around. I'm also going to meet up with Keith and Shirly who used to be grad students at Wash U, and I'll stay with them Saturday night. So it will be nice to see some familiar faces!

No comments: