Thursday, July 31, 2008

Booze, I mean Blues Cruise

Today I got to leave work early to help the magazine out with an ad sales event (I have no idea why they asked me, but I'm not complaining). We took about 20 clients on a Circle Line Blues Cruise that went in a circle through NY harbor. When we first got to the pier, my ad sales coworkers went to a nearby bar to wait for clients, and I just hung out at the pier with a magazine, with the hopes that any lost clients would ask me where to go. While I sat there, I saw Alan Cumming get dropped off by a bicycle-cart taxi guy.....so that's celebrity sighting number 2, although no one knows who Alan Cumming is, although I'd say he's more famous than my first sighting of Gael Garcia Bernal. Anyway, I think of him as the pervert in 'Circle of Friends'. But he was also on an episode of SATC and many other things (see http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001086/). So that was interesting. I took a picture of him since I'm a big dork.
The cruise was pretty nice. We got onto the boat a little early, so it wasn't too hard to reserve 20 seats (that was my primary job). There were a few belligerent folks who were angry at the reserved seats, but they lived. Good music and free drinks, amen. The cruise left from pier 83 on 42nd st at the Hudson, and went in a U to the Brooklyn Bridge and back - so we saw all of lower Manhattan, then Ellis Island/Statue of Liberty, and 4 of the 5 'waterfalls' art things (where is the 5th one, I wonder?), and the Brooklyn Bridge. I just wish I had a better camera. Maybe after paying off the debt of this summer.....
Oh, and if you wondered about the concert last night - Joshua Radin was awesome (i just quickly attempted to google for a youtube vid of his closing acoustic song which he did in the middle of the audience, but in my slightly drunk state i couldn't find it quickly). Vanessa Carlton was mediocre, but still interesting. She has some song about not liking her mom, and it just made me depressed for her. But Joshua Radin opened with my favorite song (Today) and also played my second fave (Lovely Tonight)...however he didnt play my third fave (Paperweight) but I guess I'll forgive him.
Tiiiiime for beeeeeed.



Alan Cumming looking particularly flamboyant at Pier 83.




The best picture I could get of Lady Liberty with my crappy camera in the dim light.



Even worse as far as my camera goes - but this is the waterfall under the Brooklyn Bridge.

1 comment:

'rikka said...

haha i know who Alan Cumming is! creepy pervert from Circle of Friends!