Sunday, July 6, 2008

My Saturday In Pictures

I did a lot of random things on Saturday, so I'll show some pictures and say what I was doing.

I started my day by heading towards a place in Nolita (NOrth Of Little ITAly) that I had read about in this book about shopping that Erikka sent me. Its called The Market, and its a place where up-and-coming designers sell their stuff every weekend. There was lots of jewelry and some clothing and handbags. It was my personal heaven! Lots of really nice jewelry, and it was all pretty reasonably priced! I wanted to buy something at the first table I went to. I ended up buying this necklace, and I love it! Now if only I come up with $150 to buy the handmade Italian leather purse I saw (it was the softest most beautiful leather I've ever seen!).




After wandering around to a few other shops, eating gelato at 2 places (yes, I know I'm a dork, but it was my lunch!) I walked through Chinatown on my way to South Street Seaport. My sister Jenny had told me about this art installation on the East River called 'Waterfalls', which was pretty cool. I could see 3 different waterfalls (there might be 5 total?) but the coolest one is underneath the Brooklyn Bridge.




After South Street Seaport, I went to another yarn store called Seaport Yarns. It was the largest place I had been to, and of course, I bought more sock yarn. After I left the yarn shop, I got out my book to figure out where the World Trade Center site was relative to me, because I thought it should be close. It ended up being right around the corner. I thought there was supposed to be a memorial park, but I guess that was temporary until the new buildings are built. There was a WTC Tribute Center, but it cost $10.....so I tributed from the sidewalk. It is just so strange, a huge gaping hole among so many skyscrapers. Very sad. I'm just grateful that Kevin and I were able to experience the top of the WTC, which ended up being just about a month before 9-11.




This is Trinity Church, the oldest church in Manhattan, and maybe one of the oldest buildings there in general. I have a picture of this church with the WTC in the background from summer of 2001; I tried to take the same picture again with the emptiness behind it (that's not this picture though).





Next I walked down Wall Street briefly. The streets down there are so narrow, and the buildings are so tall. Its a strange feeling. Did you know Wall Street is called that because there used to be a wall there? The wall was built around the northern part of New Amesterdam in the 1600's to protect the town from Indians and whatever else. This is Federal Hall, where George Washington took the oath of his presidency back in 1770-something....



It was a long day with lots of walking, and I was beat. I thought about not doing anything today, but decided to go ahead and go to a museum. I went to the Whitney Museum of American Art. They have a new exhibit about Buckminster Fuller, the guy who made geodesic domes kind of famous (he designed the Climatron in St. Louis). The exhibit was pretty interesting. Other than this exhibit, they had an exhibit by Paul McCarthy, which was a bit weird. There was also a collection of Polaroid photographs by Robert Mapplethorpe, which varied from interesting to somewhat strange. They didn't have many paintings from their collection on display, but what they had was pretty nice - quite a few Edward Hoppers.
I'm sad tomorrow is Monday. But I am planning to go to either Boston or Philly this weekend, so I'll spend my week at work looking forward to that!

No comments: