Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Punch Bros!

One thing I love about NYC is its abundance of music...and a good amount of it is free. Last week I wasted time by googling a number of artists to see if they might be playing here some time soon, and I discovered 1. that Nickel Creek's Chris Thile is in a new band called the Punch Brothers, and 2. that the Punch Brothers were going to be playing for free tonight. The show was supposed to be in Battery Park City, but because of forecasted thunderstorms, they moved the show to a nearby high school.
So after work I headed down to lower Manhattan to find the show. I ended up with a great seat (although the auditorium was so small that all the seats were great) about 8 rows back. And the music was fabulous. They played a few songs I knew from Chris Thile's last solo album, and then lots of Punch Bros stuff which was all great. The highlight was when they covered a Wilco song in their encore - they played 'Poor Places' from the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - by far my favorite Wilco endeavor. I just never imagined anyone covering any of those songs and doing them justice - but this was great. By far my favorite musical experience of the summer thus far.....but I have high hopes for Joshua Radin next Wednesday.
Work is keeping me plenty busy. Tomorrow, the coordinator of my AAAS program is coming up to check out the office and she's taking me to lunch. So that will be fun. Then Erikka is coming on Saturday/Sunday. Then June is going to come next weekend. Then the following weekend I head to DC and then come home. The end is increasingly in sight!!! (20 days!)



This was my least out-of-focus picture of the Punch Brothers.

No comments: