Friday, July 25, 2008

1,2,3,4 tell me that you love me more

Today I braved the butt-crack of dawn to go see Feist for free at Good Morning America. Those of you not familiar with indie-artist names, she's the one that sings the 1,2,3,4 that was all the rage in ipod commercials last winter. Anyway, she's awesome and when I saw her in STL this spring t iwas one of the best I've been to recently. So I woke up this morning at 4:30 and was standing in a line outside of Bryant Park (where fashion week also takes place) by 5:30. They let us in around 7, and I was very close to the front of the crowd. It was very strange because they had a black screen up on the stage, so we could hear Feist doing a soundcheck but we couldn't see anything. When I saw Tim McGraw on the Today show 7 years ago (yikes, that was 7 years ago!!) he did the soundcheck on the stage and everyone just got to shows, basically. Around 8 they sent out a warm up comedian who told us about how and when to clap and cheer. He asked if there were any people in the audience that knew the lyrics to Feist songs, so I raised my hand....they grabbed me and a few other people from the audience and took us over to where the weatherperson (apparently someone named Heidi? I'm a Today show girl...) was about to do the weather. She talked to us and said she was going to prompt us and then we'd sing the beginning of 1,2,3,4. So when she was on air, she just said something like 'Everyone here has heard of Feist and this popular song, but these people actually know the lyrics,' and then she cued us to start singing. I haven't seen it, but I was certainly on TV. Because they run these morning shows on an hour delay in IL/MO, I was able to have Kevin set up a tape, and my parents and sister got to see me on tv. Pretty crazy. After I was on tv, I had a slightly worse spot for the Feist concert, but it was still towards the front of the mass of people. Unfortunately a really old large man kept trying to stand right in front of me. But I survived.
Work went pretty quickly today, and soon enough it was 4:00 - I found out yesterday we technically can leave at 3:00 on fridays (summer hours?) so I was out of there. I headed up to the Guggenheim museum for the Friday evening 'pay what you want' deal. The exhibit right now is Louise Bourgeois, and it went through her entire career which is mostly sculpture. I'm not a huge fan, but it was still interesting to walk up the spiral pathway of the Guggenheim, experiencing the progression of her work. She was born in 1911 and is still creating art. Crazy! Other than the exhibit there wasn't much else on display. I saw a nice Rothko and an exhibit of early Kandinsky pieces that were pretty different from what I'm familiar with (there were even woodcutting prints, which were cool). So I was in and out of there, and glad to have only paid $3 instead of the $18 regular admission.
I'm SO TIRED I guess since I got up so early. I'm going to knit for a bit, then pass out. Erikka will get here about noon tomorrow, and we've got a full day planned. I can't wait!!
Entertaining side note: I had sent a ranting email to Delta airlines this week and they sent me a $100 voucher. Only time will tell if I have the audacity to use it....


Feist rocking out to 'Sealion.' Not my favorite song, but she played 'I feel it all' and '1,2,3,4' which are my favorites.




The GMA crew - Robin (?), Diane Sawyer (she looked gorgeous for however old she is), and Heidi the weathergirl that I was on tv with. I also talked with her briefly about music, and we talked about Ingrid Michaelson and Joshua Radin....who I informed her is playing in NYC next week (and I'm going!). I loved her dress, and she had on a really fun ring.




This was the fat head of the old guy that kept standing right in front of me. Jackass.



Weird scaffolding at the Guggenheim museum. It was sad to not be able to appreciate the building's exterior completely, but it was interesting. The dumbest thing is that they're selling jewelry made of pieces that came off of the building during restorations - for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS.



Looking up through the atrium of the Guggenheim. I love this building!!!

No comments: