Sunday, June 29, 2008

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!

Last night, I spent about an hour trying to figure out what to do today. There are still about 8 (probably more) museums that I would like to go to. When I looked up the museums I wanted to go to, I found out when a lot of them are free or pay what you want, so I think I'll plan around that in the future. So I had narrowed it down to a couple museum choices, when the news mentioned today was the gay pride parade. I of course have no problem with gay people, but rather I try to avoid large masses of people in general (lesson learned after my encounter with the Puerto Rico parade)....so I figured I'd avoid the museums because most of them are along 5th ave, where the parade was supposed to go.
I decided to head to some flea markets in Chelsea. I guess they're not what they used to be thanks to ginormous condos being built and taking up the lots they used to be in. The best one was actually in a parking garage. I really really wanted to buy (and nearly did buy) an old white gold ring with a large oval citrine....but I held back. It was cheap! I may at some point regret not buying it....
At one point, I was walking to the subway station, and walked in front of the New Amsterdam theater, where Mary Poppins is. People were standing in line for tickets, so I figured I'd see if there were any $30 tickets available (I had seen online such cheap tickets existed). What do you know, I got a ticket!!! So that's what I did this afternoon, and it was fabulous! I always loved the movie, and the musical was just as good (or at least close). So at least I saw one Broadway show this summer.
Oh, funny story. While I was waiting for the show to start, I thought I would go down to Magnolia Bakery for a cupcake (on Erikka's recommendation). But, when I tried to get off the subway, I had to stand in line to walk up to the street - it was so crowded because I ended up right on the parade route. Figures. So I just turned around and rode back uptown, rather than trying to fight through a sweaty crowd for a cupcake.
I'm sad tomorrow is Monday, but starting another week means I'm another one closer to coming back home.

No comments: