Saturday, August 2, 2008

Three Free Museums in One Day

My time is drawing to a close, so there were still a few museums/buildings I hadn't visited yet. So I planned my Friday evening based on some free museum hours. First I headed to the main branch of the New York Public Library - I had gone to this building a couple of times so far, but the building was never open. Today I finally got to go inside. It was absolutely beautiful! At the time it was built in the early 1900's it was the largest marble building in the US. There wasn't much to see there, except one room of famous portraits, but the building was enough to see. Next I headed farther uptown to the American Folk Art museum. Nothing overly exciting there, but there were some interesting things. My favorite was a rug crocheted with wonder bread bags in the 50's. The exhibit there is about Henry Darger, which seemed pretty messed up.
After going to pick up some tickets to see Gypsy on Broadway Sunday (June and I are going, and after the show we're getting a backstage tour from my roommate's friend Matty!), I headed back downtown to the Morgan Library and Museum. The museum consists of J.P. Morgan's house, library, and a new connecting structure that was designed by Renzo Piano, a Pritzker Prize winner. The library was build by a famous architect named McKim in 1906 (he was also one of the designers of the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893 and the house of every rich New Yorker, though most of them are gone now). The art there was all medieval stuff, not really my thing. I guess the most significant thing is that J.P. Morgan had collected 3 Gutenberg bibles - I'm not sure how many total exist, but this is the only place with 3 (this is believed to be the first book printed with a moveable type in the 1400 or 1500's?). But the library building was AMAZING inside. I'm really not sure if I've seen anything more ornate. I wasn't allowed to take pictures inside, but maybe you can check it out online. It was certainly worth a free trip!
I then went home and watched I Am Legend - I didn't know what it was about, but it was pretty weird and freaky. I think I liked it.
June should be in the air by now, so I need to do some final cleaning before going to pick her up at the airport! It should be a full weekend!!!



NY Public Library - I took this picture earlier this summer, but thought I'd show it again to remind you what the outside of the building looks like. For SATC fans, this is where Carrie's wedding was in the movie. The 2 lions are named Patience and Fortitude.



Interior of NYPL - entirely marble!




I almost didn't walk to the 3rd floor of the NYPL, but this was by far the most beautiful part of the building. Unfortunately, the pictures don't do it justice.




My favorite public piece of art in Manhattan - Atlas. I went to see it when Jackie was here, but there was a huge scaffolding around it - I guess they were restoring it or something?



The Morgan library. The outside doesn't look like much compared to the inside.

No comments: