Monday, June 9, 2008

One Down, 43 To Go

Today was my first day at work. Nothing too exciting to report. I spent most of the day reading back issues of Discover. I was supposed to read 2 years worth, and I'm nearly done. It was pretty entertaining though, they write about a wide variety of stuff. I didn't bring my lunch, just assuming people would go out or something, but from what I could figure either no one eats lunch or they all eat quietly in their cube. Thankfully, I had a bag of pretzels in my bag or I wouldn't have made it through the day. So I just read all day. At one point, my editor told me a bit about something I would be helping him with....its a broad newsstand-only issue about the universe, so I guess I'm just supposed to think about it and give him my ideas about how to organize it. Then another editor called me into his office to give me something else to work on - I will be putting together a piece for the October issue comparing the first images we had of planets from like the 60s/70s with the newer fantastical images we get from the hardware that's up in space today. He told me about it, and I just sat there saying 'uh huh, uh huh' he asked me 'Oh, I guess I should ask you what your background is' so I told him plant biology. Then he said something like 'I guess you're more familiar with plants than planets'....so we might have a crash course in planetary science later this week. So basically I have things to work on with no specific idea about how to do anything. This could be interesting.....
So I sat there reading until 6:30 cause it seemed like everyone else was still there, and then my editor came by and told me to go home....so I guess people there typically work 10-6. When I got home, my roommate was actually around, I think for the first evening since I've been here. And I think there was evidence that she had eaten for the first time too. She told me about her $240 hair cut/coloring (!!!!!) and then made me watch Legally Blond - a reality show on MTV. One of her good friends is on the show, so that makes it kind of intriguing....but its mostly a bunch of really annoying girls.
In other news, I get to see my sister Jackie tomorrow night!!! She is working in Newark NJ this week, so she'll come to the city and we'll meet for dinner. Then she's actually going to spend the weekend with me too. Woohoo!

2 comments:

conradroad said...

Just remember....
My
Very
Educated
Mother
Just
Serves
Us
Nasty
Pickles

Except Pluto's not a planet anymore, so I guess she just serves Nasty. Maybe you could substitute Nectarines, because that makes more sense.

Your job sounds pretty interesting! It's too bad no one goes out to lunch with all the fabulous options you must have. Perhaps you'll get to know people better and then you can convince them to go out with you on occasion.

Drool Sessions said...

First days always suck - and it's usually because no one tells you what to expect about lunch, breaktimes and when to go home. However, I could get used to a 10-6 workday. Woohoo! Props to Jen for remembering something from Science class - that flew out of my brain about 15 years ago. :)