Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Trip to the Late Show

Today was an exciting day. I had won a ticket to go to the taping of the Late Show with David Letterman, which I never thought would be possible and it was a chance I couldn't pass up. I headed to the Ed Sullivan theater at 2:00 like I was instructed. For awhile I just stood in a line on the sidewalk. At one point we heard all these really loud motorcycles, and I realized there was a motorcade of bikers ushering Motley Crue (riding on the back of a convertible) to the theater.....I tried to pull my camera out of my purse and caught them a bit before they turned the corner. I think they'll show footage tonight of them driving down Broadway though.
I talked a bit with people in line with me - it ended up the people right next to me were from St. Louis and are actually lawyers for Wash U. Small world. They chatted up one of the Late Show staffers and she gave them special tickets - they ended up in the front row. Dave comes out to the audience to hand a bag of "Martian ice" out - the people he hands it to are these Wash U lawyers. Crazy.
I ended up in the 5th row, right in the center of the theater. I had on an orange shirt, and actually there were two guys in the two rows right in front of me also wearing orange, so maybe you'll see me on tv (hopefully none of my coworkers do....). At one point, Dave checks to see where the Martian ice is in the audience, and the guy almost directly in front of me had it and holds it up - so when he holds up the bag of ice, I'm in the row right behind him, directly to your left (or his right).
The show itself was pretty good and entertaining. I think Dave was disappointed in us as an audience, he acted like we weren't laughing enough.....oh well. The guests were Charlize Theron, Richard Belzer, and Motley Crue. Charlize Theron wasn't that funny or interesting, but she's gorgeous. I had never heard of Richard Belzer, but he looked familiar....he's a comic and he and Dave just talked about George Carlin the whole time. Motley Crue was pretty lame. It was funny cause they had these trashy silver-painted girls sitting on the stage, and after they were done playing their song, Dave came to shake hands and stuff. One girl was on the top of a pretty tall speaker, and Dave almost tried to help her to jump off, but I think he decided that was a bad idea based on her very very short skirt. It just was funny and akward looking. And if you were wondering if it was really true, the Ed Sullivan Theater is cold. Most of the staffers had on coats the whole time.
So, my visit to the Late Show made for a very entertaining day. I'm glad I can say I went there once. Now I'll have to stay up til 12:30 to see if I'm on tv....I think the show will be slightly less entertaining the second time around.


The marquee outside the Ed Sullivan Theater.





Motley Crue rode down Broadway surrounded by scary biker dudes.....I have no idea who exactly was on the car (Kevin said Tommy Lee is the drummer? Maybe it was him) But I pulled my camera out in time to catch this.

1 comment:

june thole said...

sounds like a good day, I will be sure to watch Letterman tonight

Love, June