Wednesday, June 11, 2008

More from the office of Discover magazine....

I've successfully made it through day 3 of my internship. I don't want to be too negative, because I'm sure things will get better as I figure out what is going on. But anyway, yesterday I basically talked to NO ONE all day long. I said hi to my editor, and met another intern I hadn't met, but that was it. I spent the day working on the project the executive editor had called me into his office about, and it was at least interesting, although I had no idea if I was doing what he had in mind. But I figured I'd at least finish what I had started before showing it to him. So on to today. Today was a bit better because there was an intern lunch. I guess this is going to happen every week.....woohoo, free food! They plan these intern lunches for different people to come in to talk to us about what they do, so today the photo editor talked to us. It was interesting. I also met all of the other interns, of which I think there are a total of seven, including myself. I talked to another intern for awhile today too, and asked if the office is just always really quiet, and she said that it is. So I guess I'll have to get used to it. Anyway, I finished the project I was working on, at least to the extent that I had understood my directions. So I showed it to my editor, thinking that was safer than going to the Executive editor with my work without any input. He just quickly told me it looked like a good start, but that he had something a little different in mind, and that the three of us (me, my editor, and the executive editor) could sit down and talk about it. Sounds good I said. That was 2:00, and I never saw him again all day. So I did various time-wasting things for the afternoon. Not too interesting. But it can only get better, right?
After work, I thought I would head to Macy's again and see if I could find any bargains. I figure I've got nothing to do for the rest of the day, so there's no reason to hurry home. Much to my dismay, Macy's was EVEN BUSIER than it had been on Sunday, when it was so busy I couldn't stand it. So then I went home.
Anyway, I'm skipping over the highlight of the week so far. Last night I met up with Jackie and some of her co-workers who are in Newark, NJ this week. She wanted to go to some Italian place in Times Square that she had been to before. So after work, I headed to Times Square to join the crowds in the record-setting heat. I just walked around for about an hour until Jackie finally called saying they were there. Then, the plan was to walk until Jackie recognized the street this Italian restaurant with no name might be on. So we walked for quite a while. In the gross, people touching me all the time, sweaty crowds. Did I mention I don't care much for Times Square? We finally found the restaurant, and in the end I got a free meal and the left overs (food for at least 3 more meals!!) so I'm definitely not complaining.


Just a random picture of Times Square.




Me and Jackie posing just off Broadway, to avoid being trampled by the crowd.

In all of the times I had ever been to New York, I always thought it was an amazing place to visit, but that I could never live there. Now I can vouch for that. Unfortunately, I still have a ways to go......

No comments: