Sunday, June 8, 2008

Critters

Remember how I said my roommate had almost no food in the apartment? Well, most of the food she did have was in the fridge, including boxes of cereal, which seemed crazy. She explained to me that cockroaches are a problem, so any food that can be climbed into should be kept in the fridge. I had bought a loaf of bread at the grocery store the other day, but i figured roaches can't get into a bag tied shut like that. But, today when I decided to make a sandwich for lunch, it was obvious that a much larger, furrier critter had munched his way into my bread. Thankfully he didn't go too far - I only had to throw away two pieces of bread.



Today my goal was a bit of shopping. I had a gift card and a coupon burning a hole in my pocket. I'm also dying for a slightly larger bag - my bag is way too full with my umbrella, ipod, phone, camera, water, guidebook, magazine, wallet etc. So I headed down to Macy's in Herald Square thinking I'd just go from there and see what I could find. The city was crazy - everywhere I looked there were people with Puerto Rico flags. Eventually I discovered a parade on 5th Ave, which I can only assume was some sort of Puerto Rican thing. After wandering around Herald Square for awhile without finding anything I needed to buy, I headed up to Tiffany's, my favorite place in the world where I was guaranteed not to buy anything. So gazing at all the sparkly diamonds was the highlight of the day. They must have a secret way of lighting the cases, because I've never seen diamonds sparkle like that.
After sweating my butt off, I came back to my apartment, where I have spent the rest of the day knitting and finishing the last season of SATC. Thank God for HBO on Demand.
A few photos from today:

The beautiful Empire State Building



The New York Public Library. I've never seen it before, so I found it today. Unfortunately, part of the building was covered with this ugly mesh stuff. Then, the doors were locked...so I guess its closed on Sundays. I'll have to go again sometimes because the inside looks amazing in the pictures I've seen.



My favorite building in NYC (as far as I know) - the Chrysler Building.

No comments: