Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snow, Mud, Baths, and Worms

Life continues to be more interesting with Lucy around. Last week we had a considerable amount of snow for St. Louis, and I ended up staying home on Wednesday. Satchel is always a little confused by snow, but he doesn't mind it. But Lucy really didn't care for it. The first time I tried to get her to go outside, she really didn't want to and she peed on the back steps. She finally went outside after Kevin shoveled off a little bit of the sidewalk/patio, but she hated the snow because she immediately sank 7 inches. By Thursday she was fine because the top of the snow had hardened enough for her to walk on. Here they are enjoying the snow:



By this weekend, the snow had melted, making my backyard a mud pit. So every time the dogs went outside, they'd track in muddy footprints all through my kitchen. They were muddy enough that Kevin even decided to give them a bath, and he put them both in the bathtub at the same time. This was quite entertaining. Then I washed my kitchen floor (although it already looks like it needs to be washed again...)



In general, Lucy continues to be much better about not going to the bathroom inside. She has been successfully contained in the kitchen while we're gone during the day too....with a few minor incidents. Friday while I was at work, she found my potatoes and onions, and chewed a little bit on every one. Thanks. Saturday while we were in IL at my parents, she was able to jump up on the windowsill and knock over her bag of food and she ate so much her stomach was HUGE. But she's been pretty good.

Kevin woke me up at 3:30am on Monday morning screaming 'Lucy has worms!!!!' I guess he had woken up to take her outside, and he saw some worms crawling around her tail and butt region. He proceeded to do internet research about what kind of worms she might have, and he decided she had pinworms which are really bad and could be on our bed. So Lucy was banished to the kitchen, where she cried all the rest of the night. Kevin and I stripped the bed, and tried to go back to sleep but we were both worried about whether Satchel had worms too and if Lucy would be ok. It was great.
Yesterday morning we got into the vet right away, and Lucy just has tapeworms, and we got dewormer for both Lucy and Satchel. And we learned its not very easy at all for humans to get tapeworms from dogs, which was good to know. Hopefully everyone will be fine.

1 comment:

conradroad said...

Eww. Worms. Maybe that's why she was hungry enough to try and eat potatoes, onions and a whole bag of dog food. Poor baby. Give her a hug for me. I'll have to come visit again soon!!