Saturday, August 9, 2008

Farewell, NYC!

It's finally time to leave! I guess the 10 weeks went kind of fast, but I still can't wait to go home! My flight leaves at 7am tomorrow, then I'm in DC from Sunday-Tuesday. I am kind of annoyed to go to DC since I just want to go home, but at least I will get to see Erikka and Brian while I'm there. They will come to DC tomorrow and spend the day with me, which will make being there much more worth it!
Last night I went to a Science Cabaret at the NY aquarium, which is at Coney Island. The cabaret was more or less stupid (the only entertaining thing was that Danica McKellar...Winnie from Wonder Years...was there promoting her new book 'Kiss My Math'), but I was glad to see Coney Island once. It was dark so I couldn't see the beach really, but the boardwalk was interesting. I had a famous Nathan's hot dog there, and saw the Astroland amusement park. While I stood on the subway platform waiting for the train, I also caught the fireworks (which they set off every Friday in the summer I think). So it was interesting.



Today I slept in, then went to Central Park for a little bit. It was hard to relax (I had a book and my knitting)- all I could think about was packing. So I came back to the apartment and got things mostly packed. I'm just praying my check bag isn't over 50 lbs!!! So everything is mostly ready to go; I just need to finagle my pajamas and a few more pairs of shoes into my suitcase in the morning. I just can't wait!!! Tonight I'm getting dinner with Wendy. I am grateful for something to do - otherwise the night would seem like an eternity until I get to leave!

I would now like to share with you a couple of top ten lists:

Top ten things I won't miss about NYC:
10. How expensive everything is.
9. The subway! In particular, the smell of very sweaty or dirty people in an enclosed space and the men that sit in the middle of the seat with their legs wide open taking up two seats!
8. All the people everywhere....
7. and yet being alone all the time.
6. This apartment - I can't wait to go home to my clean kitchen without cockroaches and with a refrigerator that doesn't have leftovers that have been in it all summer that make everything in it smell weird (I guess I hope my fridge at home isn't like that).
5. Walking everywhere and always being sweaty before I get somewhere.
4. My $800/month sublet. I can't believe people pay so much to live here. Soooo not worth it.
3. Times Square. I hate Times Square.
2. The stupid alcohol rules. It was really annoying to not be able to buy wine at the grocery store.
1. All the slow-walking stupid people that walk in the middle of the damn sidewalk and/or stop in front of you in a big crowd and/or walk straight towards you without attempting to move out of the way.

Top then things I will miss about NYC
10. Art museums galore.
9. The subway - although it was often annoying, I didn't mind not driving all summer.
8. The Market in Nolita - I wish I could have bought so many things there!
7. The free concerts I found in various parks. While STL has a nice share of free music, its never anyone you've actually heard of!
6. Having so many interesting things to take pictures of. I really want a better camera, and maybe would like to really learn about photography.
5. The thrill of maybe crossing the path of a celebrity - although the two I saw were less than exciting.
Ummmm right now I can't think of more than that. Maybe someday I'll actually have 10 things!

THREE MORE DAYS!!!!

1 comment:

june thole said...

travel safely, soon you will be counting the hours!!!!

love you, June