Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The chickens are free, and Gus went to his first Cards game!

After months and months and I don't want to know how much money spent, Kevin is finally done with the chicken coop! Here is the finished product. Sorry for the sun blaring behind it.
So now that the coop is finally done, Kevin was ready to move the chickens out into their permanent home. We decided to have a 'coop warming' party on Saturday to celebrate them moving up! But Kevin decided to move the chickens out earlier in the day instead of waiting for the party. So here is the chickens in their old home.....

And here they are in their new home.....a little confused.
And if you wondered, Kevin has named the chickens....they are General Tso, Kung Pao, and Hunan. Which one is which, I couldn't tell you.
I didn't take any pictures at the coop warming party so I don't have any to show you. Lots of people already had other plans, so it was kind of a small crowd. It was also hot outside so I'm sure a lot of people didn't want to hang out in our yard for that reason. Kevin had ordered a pony keg of Schlafly hefeweizen for the party, and some of it didn't get drank and was thrown away.....So sad! Our only other option would have been to spend more than $5 a day to keep it iced until we drank it all. Oh well. But we still had a nice time, and I think people enjoyed coming to see the chickens and the coop after all the talking about it we've done.

Monday morning, I checked my work email, and there was an email from Friday afternoon that they had leftover free tickets to Monday's Cardinals game. I quickly emailed the person and asked if there were tickets left...and low and behold, there were two. So I called Kevin to see if he was up to the challenge of taking Gus to see the Cards for the first time. And he was! Thankfully the weather was nice, and Gus still (barely) fits in the Baby Bjorn. So off we went.
Here's the best version of the family picture at Gus's first baseball game. The guy I knew that I asked to take a picture didn't exactly know how to try to get Gus to look at the camera, but oh well.
Gus was very good the whole time. Here he is contemplating the last play. And is it just me, or do i look a little Lovekamp-y in this picture? Kind of a scary angle....
The sky looked pretty so I took this picture. You can see the grass on the field is a little beat up from the previous week's Eagles/Dixie Chicks show.
Me trying to take another family picture. I hate when Gus has the Nuk in pictures, but I was too entertained by Kevin's face.
All in all, the game was a good experience. We left at the top of the 7th...Gus was getting a little fussy, but wasn't bad at all....I think we more or less left because we could. The game had been a boring one, and I think we were down 5-3 when we left, but the Cards had a good comeback in the bottom of the ninth. We missed a good one, but I think we were all glad to be home at a decent time. AND I'm going back to another game tomorrow night anyway with ALL of my sisters (and all of my brothers-in-law) but Kevin is sitting this one out. Oh well, who knew.

The empty Schlafly keg is sitting in the kitchen until Kevin returns it. Gus found it, and he likes it.
And this was Gus after my softball game yesterday....he passed out on the way home and then Kevin held him for a little while. Definitely looks like Kevin here. (And look at all that drool! His next two teeth are almost in....)
Who knows what the next post will be about? Gus's first birthday? Or Jessica's bridal shower? Or Gus playing with his cousin John? There's a lot going on in the next few days....

No comments: