Thursday, May 7, 2009

The kid is a moose

So Kevin and I went back to the doctor's office on Tuesday to have another ultrasound to figure out what I'm consistently measuring big. The ultrasound tech couldn't tell us too much, since obviously she's not a doctor, but based on the measurements she took, the kid is about 4lb 4oz now, which puts him in the 91% percentile. I figured, at least he's not 99th or 100th.....
Then yesterday I waited for either the doctor or her nurse to call me to say that things are for sure ok other than him being a bit big. When I talked to the nurse, she just said that he's big and he's breech. We also knew this from the ultrasound, but I didn't figure it was anything since its still early.....but the nurse made it sound like because he's so big there's less of a chance that he'll move down. I'm trying to tell myself its still early and I've got a lot of room inside myself and he'll be able to move down....I just hope he hurries up! The nurse just said the doctor would talk to me about things more at my next appt (now a week and a half off...), presumably about options for trying to move him down, or preparing me for the chance of having a c-section. Yippee.
The ultrasound itself wasn't too exciting, I guess because he's bigger now its harder to see things (all the stuff that's there now was there before, but we could see it all in context of the whole kid). Kevin seriously says he thinks the kid looks like him (he said the forehead looks like his....) but I don't think there's remotely enough resolution to say. And the ultrasound tech could see that he has hair already. Weird.
What do you think - does he look like Kevin?



I also thought I'd share pictures with you of my two favorite iris....both of which are blooming in my yard right now. Kevin's dad really liked iris and had a lot of fancy hybrids, and my mom and I helped reset the bulbs at June's a few years ago and took some for ourselves. My absolute favorite was this really deep red one, and my second favorite is a salmon color (which might have come from my mom's iris bed, not sure....). But for the first time, I've got both colors blooming at my house! Last year I think I had light purple, yellow, and white bloom...but this year my favorites are the first to bloom! I'm just glad I ended up with some of the red ones, since obviously its impossible to tell when you look at the bulb.
I was going to take a picture of our asparagus patch too because we have lots of teeny teeny tiny asparagus coming up.....but they were so tiny you couldn't even see them. But I'm excited about our prospects of asparagus in the future!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We have an asparagus plant at the new house!! My mom found three stalks the other day. Matt wasn't up for eating it though. He said he'd stick to the store-bought kind.

Wuss.

I hope the latest ultrasound turned out ok. Let's hope the kid knows which way is down and starts heading that way.