Friday, December 18, 2009

Update on the thief

Crystal Bennett. That is the girl's name. Using her fingerprints, WUPD was able to find her in a criminal database, because of course she's stolen stuff before. And quickly, they were able to discover she had pawned a Flip video camera the same day mine was stolen. Thankfully Kevin was able to find the serial number of my Flip from looking at the videos on my computer, and we could prove it was mine. So last Friday, I went with the cop to the pawnshop to get my Flip. Of course, nothing is ever easy, and we couldn't get it without some legal notarized document. Or I could pay $30 for it.....um, no. So the plan was to go back on Monday with the document to get it.
Monday afternoon the detective finally called to tell me he was going home sick, but had just come home from the police station in the city where he talked with Ms. Bennett, because she had turned herself in. She wasn't very cooperative apparently, and the detective wasn't in a good mood because he was sick. Among other things, he seized her clothes because she happened to be wearing the same thing she had on on the day she stole stuff at the med school and was caught on a surveillance camera. Hilarious! She said she had a lawyer and wouldn't talk about anything til he was there. Anyway, finally yesterday the detective called me and said we could go back to the pawn shop. So we went. This time there were a number of people in there, who knows....maybe some of them were selling stolen stuff too. But they looked at us like they were crapping their pants, presumably because of the cop and not because we were white, but that was part of it too in this part of town. But we were in and out of there with my Flip in less than 2 minutes. The detective told me I should give up any hope of ever getting my digital camera back, so hopefully this weekend we can get a new one. He told me that once this finally goes to trial, that I will be invited to the sentencing and I can ask for money for my camera, and will probably get it. So I look forward to that.....
In the meantime, still no pictures. We used up all the memory on the memory cards of my ghetto camera which I can't delete pictures from - which was why I bought a new camera - to take the christmas card picture. So hopefully you've gotten that or will get it soon! And videos to come soon....maybe I can get Gus laughing at someone barking soon.....

2 comments:

Drool Sessions said...

You're a trooper. Glad you got your Flip back and they found who did it.

Jess P. said...

Can I come to the sentencing too? I have one mean looking dirty-eyeball.